3133 people have already
signed the tree
One tree CAN save a culture, but we need your help. Help us get as many signatures as possible on this tree! As soon as we reach 10000 signatures we will bring the petition to the authorities in Thailand and push towards implementation of the Moken people's indigenous rights. Sign in, sign up and spread the word!
For thousands of years, the Moken Sea Nomads have lived in their unique sea-faring Kabang boats. Today they are no longer allowed to take the tree needed to build one. The majority of Moken have no citizenship, and thus no legal rights. They are facing the huge threat of loosing the key to their culture and livelihood.
Show your support by adding your name to this tree
Support the Moken rights to harvest a tree and build a Kabang boat to last for generations. Now there are only a handful of these boats left.
If we can get 100 000 people to sign this tree by December 31, 2013, we can bring this petition to the National Park Authorities in Thailand and push towards recognition of the rights of the Moken to retain stewardship of the forest and reefs in what has been their home for generations.
Join us in acknowledging the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous People in:
«recognising that respect for indigenous knowledge, cultures and traditional practices contributes to sustainable and equitable development and proper management of the environment»
We do not share, sell or otherwise disclose any personal information including your name, address, or email addresses with other organizations. Only the Project Moken staff and our authorized data processors have access to personally identifiable information provided by visitors to our site.
Your Personal Information
If you subscribe to our newsletter, we will send you updates by e-mail through our Project Moken organization. If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from our email list, you may do so by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading "unsubscribe."
We do not share the information you’ve given us with unaffiliated groups without your explicit permission. We may share some of your personal information with the following affiliated groups:
- Affiliated Third Parties – for example, our database administrators – for the sole purpose of helping the Project Moken staff do our work. These groups do not share your personal information or use it for any purpose other than as instructed by the Project Moken staff.
- Third Party Administrators, such as organizations we engage to facilitate distribution of messages. The content of these emails will be from Project Moken and these third parties do not have direct access to your personally identifiable information.
In addition, with your explicit permission , which is deemed to be given by signing the tree campaign, we pass along certain of your information to the following groups (as is standard practice):
- World leaders, news publications, and the general public only when you sign our "One Tree Can Save a Culture" petition. This does not apply when signing on to our newsletter. See below under heading "Petitions and Surveys"
When you give Project Moken personal information, we take steps to ensure that your information is treated securely. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, Project Moken cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems in accordance with applicable data protection regulations.
Under circumstances where we determine that members may be misusing our systems for malicious purposes, such activities may be reported to law enforcement agencies. In such cases, Project Moken may release personally identifiable information, including name and address, to those agencies.
Petitions and Surveys
For petitions and surveys you've signed or completed, we treat your name as public information—for example, we may provide compilations of this "One Tree Can Save a Culture" petition, with your name, to world leaders and other targets, or to the press. This is only the case if you sign our petition. This is a standard industry practice in such situations. In no such case will we disclose your email address without your permission. We may also make your first name available to the press and public online. Project Moken is not responsible for the content of use of your email address by campaign targets.
Project Moken does not solicit personally identifying information from children. Visitors who are under 15 years of age should ask their parent or legal guardian for assistance when using the Site and should not submit any personally identifying information to the Site.
If you wish to disable these cookies, the help portion of the tool bar on most browsers will tell you how do that.
Links to Other Websites
Project Moken may revise or amend this policy at any time at our sole discretion. If we make any substantive changes in the way we collect or use personally identifying information provided by users, we will post a prominent announcement on our web site home page and post the changes on this page. We will never change our policies and practices to make them less protective of user information collected prior to the effective date of any changes without the consent of affected users. We encourage users to visit this page periodically to review our current policy.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, your personal information, or the practices of this Site, you can contact email@example.com
The contact details of the data controller are as follows;
Hallum & Jensen AS, Dept Ten Thousand Images
Bentsebrugata 13H, 0476 Oslo
Org nr. 996 253 511 MVA
Øvre Slottsgate 8, 0157 OSLO, Norway
Email from Project Moken
If you subscribe to our newsletter, Project Moken will send you updates by email. If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from our email list, you may do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with "unsubscribe" in the subject heading.
Terms and conditions
Use of this site is provided by Project Moken and subject to the following Terms and Conditions.
- Your use constitutes acceptance of these Terms and Conditions as at the date of your first use of the site.
- Project Moken reserves the rights to change these Terms and Conditions at any time by posting changes online. Your continued use of this site after changes are posted constitutes your acceptance of this agreement as modified.
- You agree to use this site only for lawful purposes, and in a manner which does not infringe the rights, or restrict, or inhibit the use and enjoyment of the site by any third party.
- This site and the information, names, images, pictures, logos regarding or relating to Project Moken are provided "as is" without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind whether express or implied. In no event will Project Moken be liable for any damages including, without limitation, indirect or consequential damages, or any damages whatsoever arising from the use or in connection with such use or loss of use of the site, whether in contract or in negligence.
- Project Moken does not warrant that the functions contained in the material contained in this site will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs or represents the full functionality, accuracy and reliability of the materials.
- Copyright restrictions: Commercial use or publication of all or any item displayed is strictly prohibited without prior authorization from Project Moken. If you require further information about the use of content please contact us at email@example.com.
- Project Moken takes no responsibility for the content of external Internet Sites.
- Any communication or material that you transmit to, or post on, any public area of the site including any data, questions, comments, suggestions, or the like, is, and will be treated as, non-confidential and non-proprietary information.
- These terms and conditions shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of Norway, including but not limited to The personal data act and regulations. Any disputes shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of Norway.
- If these Terms and Conditions are not accepted in full, the use of this site must be terminated immediately.
- The views of contributors to this website are not necessarily the views of Project Moken.